So after MONTHS of giving in to the pizza and greasy food, and not getting anywhere weight loss wise, I realized I needed a better plan. I know we all live in the real world and we HAVE to go out to eat sometimes. It happens! Just because we are getting healthy doesn't mean that we have to eat chicken and brown rice at home every night. We can still live and make good choices and not have to sacrifice our social life.
So here is how I do it.
1. I eat before. Whether its a high protein snack (hello hard boiled eggs and an ounce of cheese) or a more complete dinner, I always try to eat SOMETHING before we go. Lately my go to has been a big shaker cup of Shakeology. Because 1. I love it and 2. It keeps me full AND satisfied. I don't want to get ice cream or onion rings because I feel GOOD.
2. I workout before. This helps a TON. My go-to workout time is when I get home from work. I have about an hour before my husband gets home (when I usually cook dinner) but if we are eating out, I don't have to. So I will pop in a DVD or go for a run (my plan tonight, it is GORGEOUS outside) so I feel good and healthy before dinner. When I do that I don't crave bad food. If I am starving tho, I will drink some Shakeology lol. (it's my go-to)
3. I look at the menu before. Spoiler alert- all of these require a little planning. I encourage planning in general (we try not to go out on a whim) so keep that in mind. Worst case you can look it up on your phone while someone drives you there (my husband drives). That way I can pick something that is 1. High in protein. 2. Lower in fat and 3. LOWEST in sodium! I have learned that above all, high sodium will kill you.
4. I special order. YEP! I am that pain in the ass. Grilled please, sauce on the side, steamed veggies and a water with lemon. It is OKAY to be picky! It is your food! Don't feel like you are inconveniencing anyone by ordering special. You are the one who is going to eat it, and you are paying for it, so make sure you are HAPPY.
5. I drink an ass ton of water. I order water, and I drink at LEAST a glass before we order, another one or two before our food gets there and at LEAST two glasses while I eat. I drink between bites. I take breaks and drink some more. I sometimes ask for a pitcher (no joke). Water fills you up. It also makes the food IN your stomach expand. It also cleanses your pallet. It ALSO is freaking good for you. If I am feeling spunky, I add some lemons. But I drink drink drink until I can't POSSIBLY drink anymore and I eat less than if I didn't drink at all. *please note- this kind of water consumption will result in having to pee at LEAST twice during a meal. While you are in there, do 10 squats before you sit down and 10 as you stand up. BOOM 40 squats done.
Eating out is hard. But try not to freak out. Do your best, enjoy yourself (because if you don't you will binge later, lets be honest) and make up for it the next day. One bad meal wont ruin your life, and water can help a ton after those "oops!" splurges.
Most most importantly, I forgive myself. If you end up going out to the Melting Pot with a bunch of friends and eat bread with cheese fondue, and cheesecake dipped in chocolate and drink an ENTIRE bottle of wine- IT IS OKAY. Hating yourself for it wont do ANY good. Forgive yourself and move on! Every bite is a new opportunity to make a better choice.