I "started" a million times. I "started" every Monday for 4 years, vowing every Friday that MONDAY will be the start of my NEW lifestyle. I was going to eat healthy. I was going to workout. And I was going to STOP binging. I said this a MILLION times. And every weekend I would have a "Last Hurrah", eating all the foods I couldn't eat on my "new plan" and vow to start fresh on Monday. Monday would come, and I would be so full of shame and self loathing about my weekend long bingefest, that I would starve myself. I would go on a 2 day "water fast" to "flush" my system of toxins, and start off on the right foot! Only to binge out of starvation by the end of day 2, which lead to the weekly proclamation on Friday.
This was my cycle.
So when people ask me "how I started" I assume they are really asking "how did you break the cycle" and that is what I want to share. These are my 5 tips to break the cycle and get started (for real this time).
1. Start today. Not Monday, not after your vacation, not tomorrow, today. Right now. Putting it off will only make you over think and probably binge, and ultimately put it off to next week or some other time.
2. Start small. Put down the Diet Coke. I know, I know. Just do it. Dump it down the drain and throw out the rest. Grab a glass of water, and drink another one. Drink a couple more every day. And instead of running through the drive through at lunch, pack something. Anything. Make sure it has green in it.
3. Go for a walk. Take your dog, or your kids. Go around the block. Tomorrow, circle around twice. Go further. Go faster. Push yourself a little more every day. Maybe in a little while, try jogging. Your body can do it. It's your head you have to convince. Go every day. Make it a part of your routine.
4. Grab a friend. Accountability is key. If you think back to all the times you tried (and failed), what were you missing? Accountability. Someone to hold you to what you said you were going to do, way after you said you were going to do it. Everything is more fun with a friend. You can go on walks together, meal plan together, struggle together and celebrate together. If you have no one in your life that can be your an accountabilibuddy- the internet is your friend. I have made some of my best friends on the internet, and I what it's like to feel like you have no support. You do. You might just need to look outside of your circle of friends.
5. Commit. For real. Be real. You know when you said it all those other times that you weren't for real. You knew in the back of your head that quitting was an option and that you didn't ACTUALLY have to follow through. Stop that. Tell that voice, the one holding you back, to shut up. You CAN succeed. You CAN change your life. It isn't hard, you just have to STOP QUITTING. Stop living or dying by the wagon. The wagon doesn't exist. There are only you are your choices. If you make a bad one, make a better one next time! Stop quitting because you made a bad choice. When you commit, and I mean REALLY commit, you can do incredible things. You don't have to go Beast Mode (in fact, I don't really recommend it) you just have to try your best. Give it your all. You have the power to make a change. Just commit.
And that's it.
If you struggling with motivation, dig deep. Only you can motivate yourself. You have to believe, and you have to commit. Once you do that, and you do that every day, you will succeed.